Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The week of 9/9

Well, this week saw me return from Japan and have not a whole lot of serial tv to catch up on. There were a couple of episodes of The Closer and Saving Grace, and the Season Finale of Flight of the Conchords. I liked Flight of the Conchords, though as there was less singing, I liked it a bit less than some of the others, though the mad dancing scenes were funny and did remind us of the ridiculousness of Footloose. I really liked Flight of the Conchords all season. I think it is awkward-funny and I enjoy the silly songs. Among my favorites were Mermaids, If That's What You're Into, and the What the Uck rap. But there were lots of good ones. I hope to catch the first two or three episodes in rerun when I can.
As for The Closer, I think it is not a well-written show. But, I like the charcters and I have become involved with them, so I still watch. Almost every show involves Brenda getting a confession from somebody in the interrogation room. I am reminded of the intensity of the scenes when Andre Braugher would do the same thing as Pembleton on Homicide; Life on the Streets and can only conclude that Brenda has none of the same fire or intensity. Kinda like Murder She Wrote in comparison. But, as I said, I like the characters, so I stick around. The Season Finale is (was) September 10th. This week left me with the To Be Continued tag, which, when you have lots of shows that have plot lines drawn out over several weeks seems a bit goofy. Every episode could say that.
Saving Grace has proven to be better than I expected. I like Holly Hunter, and so thought to give this show a chance, but I feared dogmatism and God in your face ism. But, I got neither. It seems fairly ecumenical in its religiousity, and I'm ok with that. The supporting cast leaves a lot to be desired, but I will be back for another season if there is one.

2 comments:

lisa said...

i love flight of the conchords. i wish i got hbo and since i don't i hope i'll be able to catch other episodes when i'm at your house (or in chicago for that matter). I agree with your read of the closer. It's very matlock to me, but I'm also involved in the characters so i continue to watch. I think it is both poorly written and poorly acted. i didn't try saving grace because of the reasons you were wary of it. I'm still more wary than interested.

Steve said...

Mad dancing was my favorite moment from Season One of Flight of the Conchords.

Don't remember the What the Uck rap, which makes me wonder if I saw that episode. On the other hand, I don't remember many of the details of this show, so maybe I saw it, enjoyed it (as I did all the episodes) and forgot it.