Monday, September 24, 2007

The Week before 9/23

So this week saw the premiere of K-Ville and Back to You. I watched K-Ville and I thought it was OK. There were bits and pieces I liked, and there were bits and pieces I did not like. I like Cole Hauser. He made a comment about the location of bullet holes that felt a little like Encyclopedia Brown. I think the twist at the end about his origins was a bit hokey. I think Anthony Anderson had his good moments, he did not make me feel like he was supposed to be doing a comedy. I did not like his character dumping the guy in the lake at the beginning. That felt a little torture-dark, especially when that word got thrown on it later. The old partner still having his radio also required some stretching of my disbelief suspension, though I probably liked that character the most. Lyndsae commented about the potentila negative effects of putting a crime show in New Oreleans and wondered about how that might affect the image of the people there and from there, suggesting it was a little different than doing it in New York or LA. I was not aware of that dynamic, myself. I guess all in all I did not love it, but I felt like it warranted one more viewing. If it doesn't get me this week, it will be gone.
Back to You was OK. I like Patricia Heaton and I liked her here. I do no particularly like Kelsey Grammar unless I can't actually see him (Sideshow Bob). I do not particularly like any of the bit characters either. I would not be annoyed if this were on and I was in the room, but I will not choose to watch it again. I'm just not much of a sitcom guy.
Saving Grace also had its season finale. It was not a huge deal, but I thought it ended well. Grace finally came clean about something that had happened to her that was relevant to the case they were working on and Earl lauded her for it. I think the "theology" here may turn out to be a twelve-step variety, rather than the Touched By An Angel Christianity I feared. I liked this show. I won't miss it, but I look forward to getting back to it.
Damages was good again. It is proving to be a fairly solid show. This week we saw Ellen's parents, which would be Andy Sipowicz's first wife and Greg Medavoy. I enjoy seeing old NYPD Blue people. I feel like Ellen is sliding from her good girl persona as she convinces her dad to try to jack around a woman he hit with his car. And, it turns out bad for him anyway, which at least is good from my moral sense. This show is dark, but fun for me.
Dirty Jobs was a compilation of crew favorite bits. I had seen most of them, but they are almost as good in rerun as they are the first time.
I think that was about all of note this week, though there was a Flight of the Conchords marathon that aallowed me to catch the first couple of shows I had missed. I think it got better, but the first ones were also good.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Cole Hauser is the great grandson of Polish-born, Harry Warner of Warner Brothers fame (the Warner Brothers who helped make Hollywood Hollywood).