Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Week Ending 10/20

I watched a couple of Cane's this week. My Tivo failed me on the pilot, but I was able to find it on Youtube. I like it. I think I will stick with it. I'm a little nervous about the evening soap opera possibilities. I don't want to watch Dynasty, but right now, Jimmy Smits is good enough to keep me. He is the adopted son of Hector Elizondo's Rum magnate and is given control of the family business ahead of the two blood sons. He is not the typical wholesome Smits though, with some dangerous happenings in both of the episodes I watched. I liked him angry. We'll see where it goes and if it can hold me. Chuck was less than stellar this week. There was a bad girl spy from out of town who came in and the vibe she brought with her was not a good one. I hope it does no continue in that direction. As Lisa later put it, it was the Charlie's Angels direction and I am not interested in that. Damages was good again. Funny that last week I forgot that Frobisher's lawyer killed himself at the end of the episode. I guess he won't be back after all. We also saw that the good guy friend of Ellen looks like he may turn out to be a bad guy. And, we are starting to see a lot of space developing between Ellen and Patty. I will miss Danson if the season comes back for a second episode, but I could imagine another big nameish kind of person taking the role of the object of a big case each year. I am excited to watch the season finale and see if they tie everything up suitably. If Carter was originally the focus of the show, I think it's clear that Abby is becoming the focus of the show now. Last week she was giving everybody love, this week, her son gets hurt and she needs love from everybody else. It looks like she may fall off the wagon, which is not really a story line I am intereted in pursuing, but oh well. Morris is showing out as a metrosexual and a new gay guy was hired to man the desk. Also we saw a bit of Greg's gay brother getting some grief, but he seemed to handle it well enough. (So did Greg in my opinion, I think they did a good job with it.) Following in the footsteps of Carrie and her child issues, I think this show is at least willing to look at sexuality issues in a meaningful way without reorting to cariacatures. So, that's good. Grey's was good. I like Callie being forgiving. It sort of brings George up short for not telling her the actual truth, which is that he wants out of the relationship. I hope Callie catches a break somewhere along the line. I liked the issue with the chief's niece. I think that was handled well, identifying the difference in roles between the uncle and the doctor. Journeyman took an interesting turn, delving into the how and why of his traveling a bit. He somehow found out something about tachyons, which seemed out of the blue. Then he talks to a professor who calls him in the past. Also weird. I am interested to see where that goes. The episode also brings into question if it is ok to break the law in the past, which, apparently, it is. It also allows Dan to drop some evidence on the scene of a crime to change what's going on. I wonder if we are heading to an ends justify the means kind of thing... In Moonlight, we finally get to see some effects of sun exposure, though I wonder why he doesn't carry a balaclava around with him. If shade works, why not clothing? Also he had to bite the reporter. Early stages of her deciding she wants to be turned into a vampire and live with him forever. We'll see where that goes. My Name is Earl was hit and miss this week. It had each main character telling a creative writing story. Unfortunately, each story was right in line with the character, so I did not really enjoy any of them, except Crab Man's ode to vegetarianism, which was very funny. I liked the idea behind it, though, that some people do not need to escape from their normal life, they want to escape to it. Pushing Daisies rose a bit of a flag this week. There were vehicles that were powered by daisies and of course all of the people involved in it were bad guys. I wonder if they are slamming environmentalists. I hope not, because I have laughed out loud during every episode of this that I have watched. Mostly due to Chi McBride, but there have been other moments as well. I like it. I wonder if Kristen Chenowith will end up with the new guy that is trying to court her. That might be good. I have to confess I am interested in baking a pie with cheese in the crust, just to see what it tastes like. Still like the show. The Office was good again. Michael was dealing with money issues and walked into the Office to "declare" Bankruptcy. Very funny. The signing of the cast was also funny. This week marks the end of the hour long episodes, to my chagrin. We finally see Jan in a somewhat easy light. She managed to be there for Michael when he needed it. I like Darrell putting Kelly in her place also. I hope they have more moments. No House, no Simpies. I also missed Laughlin and did not get it tivoed. So, it goes off the list. Brad had to run a lot in the Last Man Standing. It was not his best event. I felt for him struggling through. He finally had to quit and he took it really hard, which was a shame. I liked seeing a picture of his daughter, which I had not seen in a while. I bet she is huge now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I missed Cane this week. And the only other show I watched that you watched was Brad. I felt bad about his running also. But, boy, did he try! Looking forward to this week.